Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What Led Me to Fund-Raising

I first had the thought of creating this blog last Friday as I was riding the bus up to Salt Lake.  To be honest, I can't even remember why the idea of creating a blog came to mind.  Jess already maintains a blog for our family-related stuff - why should I need my own?  But as I thought about it, I realized that among other benefits I could derive from a blog, I would be able to give the long answers behind the short responses that time constraints often don't allow for, and thereby be better understood by others.  The more complete description would also serve as a personal journal for future record keeping.

So, as that thought dawned on me, the first thing I thought about writing was the explanation as to my blossoming interest in fund-raising, or resource development as it is called in the industry.  This might seem kind of nerdy, and perhaps it reveals a bit about my character, but I really do love the things that I'm studying at school and implementing at work.  So if you're already bored, feel free to switch over to Jess' blog before I get technical.  There's much more fun stuff over there.

As I think back on my life at this point, I realize I've always enjoyed the work aspects associated with and required by fund-raising even since I was really young.  One of the foundational elements of successful fund-raising, from my point of view, is sincere relationships of trust.  Friendships.  I can remember thinking in high school that an ideal career would be being a "professional friend" because that was what brought me the most satisfaction - working with people, enjoying their camaraderie, and helping other people be happy.

When I finished my associates degree in business from UVSC (now UVU) I felt that I had found a strength - something I was good at - but not a passion.  I could do the accounting and economics as well as anyone, for example, but it didn't wake me up in the morning.  So, when I transferred to BYU I sought out the degree that I thought dealt with people the most: 
public relations.  However, a few months into the degree I learned that PR actually deals more with writing and campaign planning than people, and although I excelled at those tasks as well, again, it didn't fulfill my dream.


I then continued on with my schooling and internships, always taking the next logical step and always searching for a better match for my interests.  I interned with ASCEND Alliance, an international development organization working throughout South America and Africa.  I studied international development theory, participatory development, and community action.  I started my own business importing customized granite countertops from a professional fabricator in Chennai, India.  By using my business skills I successfully funded my undergraduate education and developed a host of new skills in advertising, contract management, and negotiation, but I still hadn't arrived.  No text book nor any profit margin would successfully wake me up in the morning quite like I hoped.  Nevertheless, the diligence and work ethic with which I was raised compelled me forward.

Then, quite serendipitously, I heard about this "MPA degree."  I had no idea what that was.  I thought the person telling me about it was trying to say "MBA degree," a route that I had begun to seriously consider.  But no, this was a master of public administration degree.  There was that "public" term again.  It intrigued me.  As I looked into it, the idea started to "keep me up at night" and "get me out of bed in the morning."  This seemed to be a perfect fit - coupling my business experience with my community development education.  Then I learned that BYU's MPA degree had an entire emphasis track dedicated to nonprofit management!  I was hooked.  I decided to pursue the degree, studied for and took the GMAT, and applied for the program in the short period of about four months.  


I began in September 2007 and during the first semester I enrolled only in the prescribed courses recommended by the program directors.  In the second semester, however, it was as though I had something of a mid-life (mid-degree) crisis, and enrolled in the prescribed courses plus six other credits: an MBA field study, Business Portuguese, and Organizational Development for NGOs.  I was busy, busy.  That semester was also my first exposure to a nonprofit-centric course: Nonprofit Structure and Finance.  That was when the lights really turned on and the bells started ringing.  Our professor presented the many facets of nonprofit management, and when he taught us about fund-raising, he mentioned that many people shy away from this aspect of nonprofit work because it is intimidating.  He said, however, that he thought many of us at BYU with experience serving as LDS missionaries could especially excel at this task.  It requires the exact same form of relationship cultivation, planning, and sincere solicitation as is taught to and practiced by missionaries.  This was it!  I felt that he was speaking directly to the high school dreamer within me, so I hound-dogged him for the rest of the semester about possible fund-raising internships that I could pursue the following summer.


I ended up landing the perfect internship - one that actually didn't exist before I pursued it.  LDS Philanthropies is the organization charged with soliciting and facilitating philanthropic gifts to the LDS Church and the diverse organizations it owns and operates.  BYU and three other private schools are among the list of initiatives for which LDS Philanthropies employees raise funds.  It was there that I got my foot in the door of the "house" of resource development.  Since March 2008 I have worked in the matching gifts area, directly assisting and reporting to the manager of matching gifts.  My work has included contacting high net-worth individuals at corporate campuses across the state to invite them to voluntarily represent LDS Philanthropies at their workplace and be in charge of coordinating on-site presentations by my manager; producing a quarterly newsletter specifically tailored to this same audience as a means of maintaining contact between annual visits; and assisting with data entry, etc.

So that brings us to today.  This semester, which began in January, has seemed like the beginning of the fulfillment of my dream - on the academia side at least.  All of my courses align with my deepest interests: Nonprofit Organization Management (general best practices relating to boards of directors, management of mission-driven staff, volunteer management, etc.), Nonprofit Resource Development, Performance Management, International Development Management, and Strategic Leadership.  I feel that all of them are preparing me to not only enter the workforce miles ahead of where I otherwise would be, but also to hit the ground running.

The most exciting recent development for me in this progression towards my life's career/calling has been applying for jobs.  This has actually kept me up at night quite literally, but not just because I'm putting in 90-hour weeks.  It's because I really love this.  I love the idea of promoting a cause by inviting friends to provide or do something that they may already want to do, and certainly is in their best interest.  This is different than selling granite countertops; there is long-term social benefit in this transaction as opposed to mere self-gratification.  One job for which I've recently applied described the nature of the role well: resource development entails both fund-raising and friend-raising.  That's what I've always wanted.  That's what I'm interested in, it's what I feel natural doing, and it's what I want to do for the rest of my career.

In fact, one version of my current 10-year plan includes pursuing a Ph.D. in philanthropy or urban studies from a school like Indiana University.  I'd like to work for the next 5-7 years in a successful nonprofit raising funds and really learning the intricacies of nonprofit organizations.  Then I would like to develop a thesis project wherein I research and create a simulated learning tool/game for the public and nonprofit sector higher education similar to those used by business schools to help their students simulate running a business.  I feel that such a tool could substantially advance the current state of nonprofit education.

1 comment: