Monday, March 23, 2009

Book List

I really love books and learning new things.  As I'm approaching graduation I can easily say that one of the main things I've learned while at school is to love learning.  Similar to my last post, the idea of posting a book list was one of the first things I wanted to post on this blog (pretty nerdy, right? I know.).  The list below shows the books I am going to read as soon as school is over and I've completed the required reading assigned from my current courses:

Influencer - I already own this book and I've already read a bit of it, but I haven't had time to finish it yet or really dive into it deeply.  These authors seem to have things pretty straight: I appreciate the psychology and sociology backgrounds they bring to business consulting.  Their recommendations and models seem to be more holistic.

Who Really Cares - This is another one that's sitting on my bookshelf teasing me.  Arthur Brooks came and lectured here on campus twice in the past year and half.  I've been moved by his presentation both times.  His findings about giving and the resulting benefits accrued to the giver are inspiring and revealing, and really affirm my impressions about the importance of philanthropy in a successful society.  Brooks' other and more recent book, Gross National Happiness, is right next to this one on my shelf, and I'm excited to read that one too.

Recruiting and Training Fundraising Volunteers - This is the first from a list of about 10 books relevant to resource development that I'm anxious to get my hands on.  In my last post I spoke to my interest in fundraising and how in the topic I finally found some text books that excite me.  One of the texts to which I was referring is Linda Lysakowski's other AFP book, The Development Plan.  I loved her insights and instruction!  I think Jessica thought I was pretty goofy because I was pacing back and forth in our kitchen as I read the book around midnight.  Actually, she's told me she loves that I have found a niche that I love.  I'm even more excited for this next book because recruiting a team seems to be the most effective strategy for tapping into networks to make the most of a campaign.

Major Gifts - I haven't looked into this book that much yet, but I'm banking on it being good due to the series and the AFP stamp.

Other fundraising books:

Upcoming posts: Books I already love; My ideas about simulated nonprofit education

1 comment:

  1. Hope you don't mind me tagging along for the ride. Look forward to learning about your adventures during this big turning point in your life.

    And I really appreciate your phrase "one of the main things I've learned while at school is to love learning". It reminds me of my dad who always emphasized that the greatest skill to acquire through schooling was learning how to learn. Learning to love learning sounds like an even greater step. Well done in learning what really matters.

    I hope as you get to read these books and talk about your top favorites already perused, you take time to write blog entries on your impressions and analysis, or even just a simple review.

    ReplyDelete