Saturday, March 14, 2009

"I wanna go down the hill"


Today I better understood the difference between happiness and joy.  It was in a moment shared with Emma at the American Fork public skatepark.  

I've been skateboarding since I was 15 years old, so I don't have any idea how many hundreds of times I've made a trip to a skatepark like I did again today with my younger brother Bones.  I love skateboarding - I always have.  I love the challenge, the progression, the limitlessness of creative expression and style, all of it.  It is really a happy and healthy thing to do.  But it's never brought me the deep-down joy that I felt today.  

Jess and the kids accompany us to this park sometimes because it is located on a greater public property that includes a pretty nice kids' playground.  I love it, because the worst part about going skating is being away from them.  Today Emma wanted to come ride with me a little within the skatepark gates.  She loved it, and was very courageous at both riding in my arms and standing on her own with my help.  I was surprised when she said, while riding on her own two feet, "I wanna go down the hill."  What she was referring to was the down-sloping banks between flat cement at different elevations.  She wasn't scared at all!  And she did it!  If I figure out how, I'll post the videos of her doing it.  Until then, her attitude can be pretty well discerned in this picture:

I figured it out.  Here's the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment