Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 1: 1 Nephi Chapters 1-4

This is awesome! I'm really excited for this project.

Today was my first day, and I began with First Nephi chapters 1, 2, 3 and 4. I am using a red pen for acts of faith and obedience. I am using an orange pan for things that either are or resemble repentance. I am using a blue pen for things that seem to be related to baptism or making a covenant. I'm using a yellow pen to mark the blessings of the Lord that come in response to obedience, repentance, and covenant making. I am using a green pen for things related to enduring to the end or perseverance. And I am using a purple pen to mark how prophet-leaders teach others to come unto Christ, especially family members.


Thoughts:
- "Goodly parents" teach. That's what they do. They invite their children to come unto Christ: "I have not required it of them, but it is a commandment of the Lord."
- Faith and action precede the blessing: "As he prayed" and "as he read," "there came a pillar of fire" and "he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord."
- Those who "come unto (Christ)" are not suffered to perish, but are "chosen" and are "(made) mighty even unto the power of deliverance."
- The record (or, scriptures) was obtained to help them "preserve," or endure faithfully. 
- Faith and sacrifice are linked. They had to travel, lose their money (3:22-26), and almost lose their lives to fulfill faithfully the commandments of God. It was a bit of a test before the Lord "delivered Laban into (his) hands" (4:17). 
- I will always love 1 Nephi 4:6-7. These verses touch and inspire my heart each time I read them: "I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. NEVERTHELESS I WENT FORTH." Movimenta-se!

No comments:

Post a Comment